Modification4 replies

BMW (F30) 320d 184 hp modification suggestions / experience sharing

BMW320d320d
Original Poster

Hi, my car is a BMW 320d 184 hp. Previously I've always done in-engine modifications on petrol cars, but this will be the first time I try this kind of touch on a diesel car. There are many companies on the market that tune this engine; my aim is to increase performance while keeping the engine healthy. It's a very popular engine in Turkey with a lot of potential; if anyone has touched this engine before or has experience, sharing their knowledge would be a guide both for me and for others. I'd like to hear your experiences and your suggestions on what to look out for. PLANNED CHANGES -TUNE -DOWNPIPE -AIR FILTER INFORMATION ABOUT MY OWN CAR (197,000 KM BORUSAN-SERVICED BOUGHT FROM THE FIRST OWNER TIMING CHAIN REPLACED AT 155,000 KM)

Translated from Turkish

Replies

4 replies

I'm in the same situation, but for obvious reasons we've become afraid to touch the car. I'm wondering whether to do a tune plus a downpipe - even if you minimize the smoke after the downpipe, there'll still be noise, that straight-pipe diesel sound. I don't know how much I can cut that noise down. I don't know about police issues either if you get caught, but Istanbul is a bit strict.

Translated from Turkish

I did everything I mentioned, the car's fate completely changed, I'd say I recommend it, but after the downpipe it's next to impossible for the police not to write you a ticket

Translated from Turkish

Do you have solid information on what's legal and what's not? I'm considering a similar process too, but I have reservations.

Translated from Turkish

Hi, I'm also a 220d n47 owner. As a suggestion, I definitely recommend the xHP transmission software first — being able to customize it yourself really adds to the fun. Also an engine tune and a 10.9L intercooler can be necessary for the summer months to lower the IAT. I also fitted an LSD; rather than actually speeding things up, the LSD after the transmission software is pretty satisfying, I think.

Translated from Turkish