Chat9 replies

Peugeot 408 user reviews

Original Poster

To begin with, PSA group car brands (Peugeot, Citroen, Opel etc.) don't have a good reputation on the market. The main reasons for this are the old-type 1.2 PureTech engine having a wet timing belt system, and other electronic issues not being resolved at authorized services. On top of that, the long-standing saying "Peugeot's crank bearings wear out" has also created a firm belief in us, which reinforces this perception among consumers. However, speaking specifically about the 408, in the 20,000 km I've driven my car, I haven't experienced any fault, missing feature, or warning. There are also plenty of other people who use theirs this way. There are ones that are spotless at 70-80,000 km. This "spotless" description includes even the sediment coming from the belt into the oil filter. Also, right now, new cars being sold on the market have complaints tied to every brand, and there are also serious faults among them. There are also high-cost failures like DSG transmissions, alternators, etc. And the prices of cars with these failures are also higher than the Peugeot 408. So, how much does it cost the 408 owner to replace the timing belt/chain that bothers them? 15-20 thousand TL. Yes, exactly the same as a standard maintenance fee for cars under warranty in this current period. And if a user who doesn't trust it plays it extra safe and changes it at 50k km (with authorized service and the correct oil), they'll drive it without any trouble at all. I'm not including electronic failures, because unfortunately that's today's problem, even Mercedes cars worth 10 million TL end up riding in the back of a tow truck. The incompetence of authorized services and how long legal remedies take also play a role in this. What I mean is, it's actually more of an overly exaggerated car rather than one that keeps breaking down. If a fully authorized-serviced DSG-transmission Tiguan ended up on a tow truck, it wouldn't get this much attention. Why? Because the Germans must know something. :) I'm waiting for the comments of those who want to join the discussion.

Translated from Turkish

Replies

9 replies

The 408 is really perfect in terms of looks, but because of the 1.2 engine, it's definitely a car I would not buy

Translated from Turkish

Don't be fooled by the 1.2 engine, mate, the car runs quite well. I don't get people calling it small — expecting performance from it is already silly anyway, but the engine never lets you down in any way. It's quite good both in fuel economy and performance. The car's equipment is also offered as an option on many other brands. For this money, instead of buying a fully-loaded Egea, I'd get an entry-level 408 — it's both better looking and more well-equipped. Of course tastes can't be argued, I drive a 1.2 Hybrid 408 and I'm quite happy, wishing everyone gets even better ones ❤️

Translated from Turkish

The nightmare of the 1.2 engines was always said to be the timing chain running in oil, but nobody talked about the wrong oil and non-original filters either. One of the biggest causes of the check engine light is low-quality fuel — most mechanics, when changing spark plugs, instead of lowering it out with a magnet, drop the plug into the socket and let it seal the tip, which causes issues too. Apart from that, they're trouble-free F/P cars (aside from the 3008's Full Electric Brain problem).

Translated from Turkish

Hello, first of all I wish everyone a good day. I've been a 408 GT owner since March 2023, my car is currently at 40,000 km. The car's average fuel consumption is around 8 (L/100km) in Istanbul traffic. It's very comfortable to drive, and there's no other brand offering this much equipment for the money - semi-autonomous driving, heated steering wheel and seats, massage, and every kind of feature you can think of. As for the engine, the warranty period has been extended to 10 years. The 1.2 PureTech is a quite satisfying, quite efficient engine. On a straight road it does around 225-230.

Translated from Turkish

Over 40,000 km, other than regular maintenance, the only extra trip I made to the service was for a trim noise coming from under the rearview mirror. Also I ran into the screen freezing 1-2 times. The trunk capacity is big, but because of the design sometimes things don't fit. Rear legroom is quite satisfying. The faux leather on the seats hasn't peeled or anything like it did on day one.

Translated from Turkish

The average for the Diyarbakır-Trabzon-Rize-Artvin-Erzurum-Diyarbakır route

Translated from Turkish

If you change the spark plugs every 2 services without fail, and change the timing belt and clean the oil pump around 40-50k km, there's no engine risk left. The 1.2 has ideal performance, but honestly a 1.6 225 suits that look better 😁 With the +2 year extended warranty on the electrical system, you can drive it trouble-free for 5 years. It's not that different from its rivals - when you research any brand you'll find trim noise and electrical issues. What matters is finding a good authorized service that can actually fix them.

Translated from Turkish

The 408 1.2 Allure is at 101,000 km now and hasn't cost me anything besides servicing. As a precaution I'll be changing the timing belt around now. It's both a cool and a solid car. I think it has the kind of reliability that could change people's perceptions. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems.

Translated from Turkish