Chat5 replies

2009 C220 CDI vs 2013 C180 1.6 AMG

Original Poster

Hello friends, I'm thinking of changing the car soon; I'm torn between a 2009 C220 CDI and a 2013 C180. Are there owners, which would you recommend??

Translated from Turkish

Replies

5 replies

You can decide clearly based on this criterion: if you're going to drive in the city, get the C180. If you're going to mainly use it for long trips, the 220 CDI is a great engine. But if you drive short distances around town, you might run into DPF problems.

Translated from Turkish

If it's a 2009 model, we're probably talking about the pre-facelift version. The facelifted model is quite a facelift, there are big changes. As far as I know, the 2009 model has a 5-speed auto, and the facelifted one has a 7-speed auto. Of course you also need to check whether major maintenance has been done, what the mileage is, and what the equipment is. Which engine is the C180? There's a 1.6, there's a 1.8, there's a Kompressor, there's a CGI :)

Translated from Turkish

I'm considering a 2009 model 220 CDI with a 5-speed automatic at around 250,000 km, or a 2013 model 1.6 turbo petrol with a 7-speed G-Tronic at around 150,000 km.

Translated from Turkish

I think the W204 jumped a level with the facelift. That's why I'd recommend getting a facelifted C180. These M271-based engines are extremely solid. 1.8 or 1.6 doesn't matter, supercharged or CGI — meaning turbo — doesn't matter either, they're all 156 hp. But I read in a forum that the M274 (the 2013 model updated M271) has an increased compression ratio and is a bit more problematic compared to the other M271 (supercharged) and M271evo (turbo CGI) versions. Around a 2012 model, displacement and supercharged-or-CGI don't matter, you can just get it.

Translated from Turkish